Monday, November 3, 2014

My Trifecta Journey

Hey all! I have  returned from my 10 days in beautiful South Carolina where I participated in the Spartan Beast obstacle course race. I had a great time with my partner who just happens to be my better half as we were able to find some beautiful trails to train on before the race. This will be our 4th race of the year but our first beast and we both will be earning our first Trifecta! This consists of completing a Sprint 3+ miles and a Super 8+ miles and a Beast 13+ miles all in the same calender year. The race started off a chilly 41 degrees and didn't disappoint! We immediately encountered up hill terrain and obstacles. This was followed by a stretch of running and we hit the muckiest barbed wire crawl I have ever done.We continued on at a great pace under 10 minute miles and then BAM! I did the tire pull and on the last yank pulled really hard to get done fast and stood up started running and I got the worst abdominal cramp EVER! I fought this thing 10 minutes screaming rubbing yelling trying to get it to go away. Here's the funny part it brought me down to one knee and as my spouse was standing in front of me people were stopping and yelling at me DID SHE SAY YES!! They thought i was proposing to her!! I yelled back she said yes 30 years ago!! We both got a kick out of it and finally were able to continue. I hit the atlas carry and all was well till the second step. If you have been following me you know i have been fighting severe sciatica on my left side and after the second step I wasn't the same. I struggled terribly to run especially up hills. I pushed really hard to get through and then my spouse suffered an injury to her I T band. We both carried each other through the pain and kept going telling stories and trying to stay positive. We hit some pretty nasty mud that you could barely move through and then took a quick break. The spear throw was different than other Spartan races as they decided to put a tether on the spear. I didn't like it and it cost both of us 30 burpees due to catching our hydration packs. Well moving on we hit the rope climb and by far this was the worst we had ever encountered. These ropes were covered in mud and grip was all but non existant. We finished with a time of 4 hours 20 minutes but the key here was we finished. So proud of what both of us had accomplished and I believe that our training with Beachbody programs and supplements was definitely key to our success. I plan on starting a Hybrid workout with P90X3 and Insanity Asylum for next years races and my goals are to be top 3 in my age group all 3 races. Here are some pictures from training and from the event. Please feel free to message me for more information on our programs and supplements or you can even get a free fitness assessment just click on the above tab!










No comments:

Post a Comment